Happy New Year my people. This year I decided to continue my struggle of trying to keep my baby (this space) alive, for some reason this feels like the safest space for me on the internet. More like my space, my terms and minimal rush. I find it safe for me to evolve as the years go by because you all know 2016 Maya is definitely not the same as 2023 Maya who is a mother of two juggling life. Somethings never change but one thing I know for sure is I keep evolving just like many of you so let’s enjoy the ride as I share my thoughts, experiences and life in general.
A lot has changed with me over the past few years since becoming a mother, and now a mother of two – my perspective on life has greatly evolved. I have developed new interests and passions – I fell in love with wellness and the idea of living a better life. As a mother, it’s my duty to set standards for my children especially my daughter so I decided to do better because I know I can do better. Allow me to revive this space with a topic we have been talking about over on Instagram Stories (add me @itsmayabee) HABITS. With the interactions we have had, I love the fact that so many of us want to change how we live our lives, cultivate new habits, take care of ourselves and live more fulfilling lives.
I strongly believe you truly haven’t lived life until you have made someone’s life better. However for you to do this, you have to take care of the foundation which is You – the stronger the foundation, the more load the house can carry. Personally I signed up for permanent responsibility over someone’s life 6 years ago when I had my Sonshine and in order for me to keep showing up for my kids and others I need to show up for myself in all the different sects of wellness.” How can you do that?” you wonder. HABITS. My habits determine the type of person I am, my habits will determine if I will be a cranky tired mom every morning because I keep going to bed at 1am every night, my habits will have a role to play in if my children will be kind to others, my habits will be the standards my children will grow up with.
Your behaviors are usually a reflection of your identity. Habits are a path to change your identity, change what you do. Small habits can make a meaningful difference by providing a new identity. Atomic Habits
I thought we would start off the week with me sharing my daily habits that integrate wellness into my life and make my days easier and more productive.
- Wake early: My ideal wake time is 5am and if I am being honest with you, that’s still a work in progress. Currently I wake up anytime between 5:30am and 5:45am
- Drink a glass of water: I always have sleep with water by my bedside.
- Pray and meditate or do my deep breaths.
- Gratitude and affirmations: The more you acknowledge your blessings, the more fulfilled you will be.
- Lay my bed: I honestly didn’t know this is a habit to emphasize until I met someone who doesn’t lay their bed, why aren’t you laying your bed sis?
- Move my body: (4 times a week) If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am struggling with this but I know we shall get there.
- Take a shower and do my skincare. Wear your sunscreen daily my people.
- Take my daily supplements: Please remember these are supplements not substitutes.
- Intermittent Fast: this is great for my body and my productivity as I don’t have to think of what to eat in my most productive hours of the day.
- Drink 3 liters of water.
- Work on my passion projects.
- Set work time blocks.
- Eat / drink some greens.
- No social media early in the morning or at least 30 mins before bed.
- Read 5 pages a day.
- Tell my children I love them and they mean the world to me. I do this everyday
- Do my night time skincare routine.
- Put the kids to bed.
- Write and update my to do list.
- Go to bed at 10pm
Being a mother, your days can be unpredictable so I will admit that some days are better than the others so do not beat yourself up on days where you do not tick off all your desired habits. Some days will look different from others depending on the time of the year and my schedule. I’ve got a few habits I am still struggling with but I take it one day at a time.
I hope you find this helpful. What habits would you want to cultivate this year and make apart of you?
Love as always,